Thrifting has certainly gained a lot of popularity over the years! With the rise of even more and more “vintage” or thrifted shops these days it seems so saturated and for good reason! Thrifted clothing is a form of sustainable fashion, which is a groovy term for recycled fashion that is not only great for our environment but can also be kind to our wallets!
As you all know, I love a good deal and thrifting has been something I have learned to perfect over the years! A lot of people tend to really struggle with thrifting for a number of reasons, I think mainly it can be overwhelming as it can be difficult to spot the “goodies” the items that are actually a good deal and on trend. Here a few tips I have for finding those sweet thrifted “cookies”
- Plan ahead! This is really important! If you want to be able to find items that closely match current trends, simply spend a few mins saving images from stores or Instagram of the pieces that you are looking to find! Having a clear image to compare items to has helped me spot the items that are the best match to the pieces I am hoping to find! Thrifting can be great for “fad fashion” items that you want just because everyone else has, but you don’t want to pay the hyped price tag! Also, be sure to shop ahead of the season, look at blogs or store catalogs to see what summer items you may want to try out and buy them now in winter!
- Quality over quantity! Look at your garments, inspect them inside and out and be sure that they are not overly faded or worn (unless of course, the style calls for it). I know this one seems obvious but at times even I have been guilty a grabbing an item because of the label and not inspecting the piece thoroughly!
- Try everything on! I know trying on used clothing can be a bit much for some, but wear leggings and try on everything! Vintage pieces are not always sized the same so you cannot always rely on the label!
- Shop quality! I find a few brands that really stick out to me as “high quality” and pieces tend to stand the wear of time! These include; 90s Gap, Levis, Michael Kors, Cotton Ginny, B.U.M to name a few are some tags I really like to see that items, believe it or not, I actually stray from current brand labels!
- Get creative! Don’t be afraid to cut, or remove shoulder pads and get your hands a bit dirty! Some items need a little TLC or simple tailoring to really become stand out items!
- Take your time! There is no rushing a good shop! Go section by section and take a good look! I have had the worst experiences trying to thrift in a hurry! It should be fun, and honestly, can be a great laugh if you go with a friend!
I’ve teamed up with Goodies Thrift to bring you this amazing lookbook, to give you some fashion ideas for this transitional period between winter and spring! I cannot wait for winter to be over, so I was very excited to pull some pieces that I think are trendy and work for work, school, everyday life, and nightlife! The possibilities with thrift are endless!
Goodies would also like me to share their upcoming sale! TOMORROW you will save 50% on all items! These incredible savings will be taking place at both of their locations, 4051 New St, Burlington, and 407 Speers Rd, Oakville.
Happy thrifting ✌🏾♥️
The Look Book
1) Pink Polka – This outfit is so comfy and functional! I am a lover of polka dots and this oversized blouse is so soft and in excellent condition and I paired it with this lovely oversized dusty pink cardigan! The oversized and modern flair of this look is perfect for every day, running errands or casual work environments. I paired these with my leggings from Garage and Sneakers from TopShop at The Bay, and went with my all black Gucci inspired crossbody, which is wide and can hold loads of everyday items! The items thrifted from Goodies include; The Blouse, cardigan and crossbody bag!
2) The Working Girl – I have been seeing this iconic print everywhere! This Chanel inspired print is timeless, and so is the power suit! This lovely two-piece set was a steal and perfect for all the working girls out there this coming spring! I paired this with my handy “in between meeting” sneakers from Top Shop and my a simple black tee and leggings (because it was really cold) as well as my favorite office bag by Kate Spade. The thrifted items from Goodies included the matching 2-piece set. I did modify the skirt to make it shorter as I felt it gave it a more modern and flirty vibe! The only thing I would love to add is a big blingy broach!
3) Bad Teacher – This outfit is centered around this gorgeous dark blue velvet blazer! This is an excellent daytime look for casual Fridays at the office or for a night out on the town with friends. I paired this with my vintage inspired, straight cut jeans from H&M, a casual black tee from Dynamite, these amazing loafers from Nine West and lastly this cute evening bag by Prada! The thrifted Goodies items include; the velvet blazer and the Prada purse.
4) Table Manors – This outfit is so fun and playful and ready for some spring weather! I fell in love with this cloudy blue sweater, it is beyond soft. I paired this with this oversized black cord jacket and black denim skirt, white sneakers from Top Shop and this adorable greenish fur hang bag! I love that this looks so girly and is perfect for a spring day walking around window shopping on Locke St! I am so ready for spring and this outfit gets me in the mood for the coming season! Everything in this look minus the shoes are thrifted items from Goodies!